REC services for licensed LPFM stations

Things change...

The world changes around us every day. The same happens to LPFM stations, even more considering that LPFM is a secondary service. You may lose the ability to use your site or because of changes being made by full power stations, your ability to use your channel. Perhaps, the interference in some part of your service area has got so bad and you just want to see if there is a better channel out there. Or perhaps, you found a better site close by.

When those times come around, REC is here for you to help you find the right solution to meet your specific needs.

Interference Mitigation
Site Move
Special Temporary Authority
Transfer of Control/Assignment of License


LPFM is a secondary service, this is a fact about our service that we all have to live with. This means if a full power station wants your space on the dial, you may have to get out of the way. The FCC's rules are very specific about what they consider as legal interference but at the same time, full power stations have some significant latitude to make interference claims against your station. Some of these claims can be defended however some may require the temporary shut down of your station while a solution is worked out.

If in the event that you need to change to a different channel due to encroachment by a full power station (displacement), REC can assist you in the channel search and take you through the process of writing the exhibits for the new channel including the showing of reduced interference, filing the documents with the FCC, monitoring your application's status and following up with the license to cover (Form 319) upon completion of your channel change after it is approved by the FCC.

REC is ready to work with you, e-mail or call us today for immediate assistance.


Your station is finally on the air but you have noticed that in one part of town, your station's coverage is substantially degraded by another station on the same channel. Unlike full power FM services, LPFM stations are permitted to come closer to other full power stations on the same or adjacent channel. This can mean that it is possible that your channel may receive interference from one of these full power stations or perhaps an FM translator, especially one that is operating a "fill in" service for another local AM/FM or HD-2 station.

FCC rules allow you to change to an adjacent channel (first, second or third) or an "intermediate frequency" channel (+/- 10.6 or 10.8 MHz) without the requirement of making any special showings. However, if your only channel available is not an adjacent or IF channel, then additional studies must be done. REC has had a very successful track record with the FCC in our presentations to the Commission to get LPFM stations on new channels with a showing of reduced interference.

REC can perform a free preliminary check of your alternate channels. Please e-mail or call us for immediate assistance.

Site Moves

Site moves whether voluntary (such as finding a better site) or involuntary (such as losing the lease on a site) are limited to a radius of 5.6 kilometers (3.5 miles) around the current transmitter site. The FCC is pretty strict about this. There are a couple of very rare exceptions involving placing stations very close to third adjacent stations and co-locating two stations that are currently in a time share agreement. Performing two moves in order to go beyond 5.6 kilometers is frowned upon by the FCC and we have seen broadcasters lose their licenses for doing more than one minor change to move stations.

The new location must meet all minimum spacing with other full power, LPFM and translator stations. If your station is currently short spaced, you can move as long as the short spacing is not reduced.

The new site must continue to be either within 20 miles of your organization's headquarters or within 20 miles of 75% of your organization's board members. (10 miles if you are within Arbitron-Neilsen Audio's top-50 media markets).

A channel change can also be done at the same time to a first-, second- or third-adjacent channel as well as an intermediate frequency (+/- 10.6 or 10.8 MHz) channel.

REC can do preliminary checks of one or more sites or try to find you a leased tower space in your area. Please e-mail or call us for immediate assistance. (Client is responsible for negotiating with tower companies and obtaining assurances to use sites. Those assurances should be obtained prior to filing the application with the FCC.)

Special Temporary Authority

There are times when the unforeseen happens. Weather destroys the antenna, the site owner does not pay the electric bill or you have equipment issues. Perhaps you have an emergency plan to move somewhere else temporarily while things get fixed or you have to run at a lower power or with a different antenna type or height for a short period of time. In order to make these kinds of variances, you will need approval from the FCC. For temporary situations, the FCC requires the filing of a Special Temporary Authority (STA) request. Especially in situations where you have either a second adjacent channel waiver or if you need to make a temporary move to a different site, REC can help you prepare an STA. Please e-mail or call us.

Transfer Control/Assign License

Boards of directors do change. When they do, you must first assure that the new board members do not have any ownership interest of any other broadcast facilities or other regulated media (such as daily newspapers with a general circulation). Also, if your headquarters is not within 20 miles (10 miles in the top-50 media markets) of your transmitter site, at least 75% of the resulting board must physically reside within 20 or 10 miles of the transmitter site. The FCC needs to be notified of the new board structure, whether or not more than 50% of the board changes. This can be done by filing a form with the FCC. REC can file that for you.

An assignment of license takes place if you wish to give your station license to another unrelated organization. The FCC does not allow the license to be sold but it does all for the purchase of tangible equipment (such as transmitter, tower, studio gear, real estate, etc.) at fair market value. LPFM stations must be fully licensed for 3 years before they can be assigned to another organization. At this time, none of the applicants who filed in the 2013 LPFM window are eligible to assign their station to another organization. For those organizations who wish to assign their license, REC can assist with the filing.

REC was there for your station when you initially applied and we are still here today. Can we help you out? Please let us know!